Here are some fun and very Chicago things to do during the so called “Holiday Season”. Get outside in the freezing cold and enjoy yourself!
1. Light Shows
Just because the animals are hibernating and the trees are bare, doesn’t mean you should avoid the zoos and the parks. In fact, there is even more reason to visit with beautiful light and laser shows and even the chance to sing to the sleeping animals.
– Brookfield Zoo – Holiday Magic – http://www.czs.org/CZS/holidaymagic
– Lincoln Park Zoo – Zoo Lights – http://www.lpzoo.org/events/calendar/zoolights
– Morton Arboretum – Illumination – http://www.mortonarb.org/events/illumination-tree-lights-morton-arboretum
Drink mulled wine from ceramic shoes under the watchful eye of Picasso’s baboon. Yes really! This Daley Square annual festivity is fabulous and so popular that in 2014 they are extending it to Oakbrook in the suburbs.
See above – that lady is The Christkind who welcomes everyone in German – http://www.christkindlmarket.com
3. Skating and Singing At The Bean
They have carol singers and a skating rink replaces the outdoor pub.
4. The CTA Holiday Train
Possibly my favourite Chicago thing, a CTA “L” train decked out for the holidays and with Santa riding in i! You cant miss it.
5. Magnificent Mile Lights Festival Parade – Nov 22
The entire Michigan Avenue is closed off and pedestrianised and thousands of Chicagoans enjoy the parade. Imagine the City of London Lord Mayor show but with far more awesome floats, lots of marching bands and in freezing temperatures and with Father Christmas and fireworks.